Auto for the soul: Moskvich 408 1966. #ChesnokTV
The engine proposed for the Moskvich 408 car was inherited from its predecessor models (407/403), and it began its existence in 1938, when it was used on the Opel Kadett car, which was produced at the MZMA plant in 1946-1954 as Moskvich- 400/401. On the Moskvich 407 and Moskvich 403 models it was forced and its power was 45 hp. And the version of this power unit used on the 408th already gave out 55 hp. The motor was equipped with a two-chamber carburetor K-126. As for the transmission, there was used a 4-speed manual gearbox, which was developed in 1957. Until mid-1973, the gearshift lever was located on the steering column, after it was placed on the floor.
Chassis car Moskvich 408 was very reliable. The front suspension was independent, without a pin, parallelogram type, on two transverse levers. Until May 1969, the upper suspension arms swung on the threaded bushings, and later - on rubber-metal hinges (silent blocks) that did not require lubrication. The rear suspension was dependent on the springs. The brakes were all-wheel drum, hydraulically driven and automatically adjusting the clearance. The amplifier was missing.
On December 6, 1969, the Moskvich 408 received a new version of the body, which was unified with the body of the Moskvich 412 model, which had a different design for the front (rectangular headlights and front position, etc.) and rear (rectangular taillights with triangular direction indicators, and t .d.) parts.
It is worth noting that the car had a high popularity not only in the domestic, but also in foreign markets. In the 1960s, about half of the release of "Muscovites" was exported. For example, in 1965, the share of exported 408s was about 45%, and in 1967 it was about 51%. In Scandinavia, it was sold under the name “Moskvitch Karat”, in France - “Elite 1300”, in Belgium - “Scaldia 408”, in England (a special right-hand drive version was issued) - like “Moskvich-408”, in Germany - like “Moskwitsch” .
Production of the car Moskvich 408 was completed in 1975, and in 1976 it was replaced by a new model called the Moskvich - 2138.